Select Similar - v1.3
Select Similar - is simple modeling script for Autodesk Maya which builds upon already existing Maya's Select Similar tool which works perfectly with the component selection but it can't select a similar/same object (in Object mode), for example, in situation where you select one screw and you want for tool to select all other similar/same screws in the scene.
This is where this script comes in and it will allow you to select not only same/similar components but also same objects in the scene. It could be used in multiple ways for modeling and look-dev workflows like the easier use of Replace Objects tool in Maya or quick shader assignments.
For more info about that and script setup please check the video on the link below.
Supported Maya Versions
Maya 2016, 2016.5, 2017, 2018+
Tested on Windows Maya versions but it should work on Mac OSX too.
MayaLT works only for script version up to v1_20. Version 1_30 doesn't work on MayaLT because the script is written in Python.
Tutorial / Help
- Installation (for v1_30) - HERE
- How to Use - HERE
- Help file - provided with the download offers some more info about the script and simple script setup/installation if you don't want to watch the tutorial.
-- v1.30 -- release date: 11.06.2018
- BUGFIX - // Error: line 49: Cannot convert data of type string (or float) to type int. // This one was quite random and only sometimes would appear for no particular reason. I rewrote the script to Python and made some changes along the way so this error should no longer appear...hopefully.
-- v1.20 -- release date: 06.03.2018
- BUGFIX - Select Similar fail to select and give an error if there is some object with the same name in the scene.
This usually happens when you put some objects in the group and then you duplicate the same group - the group name will be updated accordingly but the objects inside it keep the same name as original ones which then confuses "Similar Similar" what you want to select.
-- v1.10 -- release date: 08. 01. 2018
- BUGFIX - Select similar fail completely to select polygon objects if you also have nurbs curves or/and surfaces in the scene.
- IMPROVEMENT - Performance improvement of object selection, especially in bigger scenes and selecting a lot of object at once.
- IMPROVEMENT - Updated Install_Help file. Added "k_selectSimilarTopo_v1_0.mel" file installation process and Release notes.
-- v1.0 -- release date: 31. 12. 2017
Important Notes / Contact
You can use the script for personal or/and commercial work whether you are a freelance artist or you are working in the studio.
Please don't distribute/share, change script or reuse(copy/paste) the script code to make your own script.
The script is free and available for download only here via Gumroad. If your friends/colleagues want to use it, send them a direct Gumroad link instead, that way they will be able to get a notification if there is an update.
If you have feedback or/and suggestions feel free to send me a message on my email > firstname.lastname@example.org