Mirror Tool is a small script, helper, to make object mirroring a bit more intuitive and fun. It is based on Maya (now legacy) Mirror Cut tool which is not available by default in Maya 2016 Extension 2 and up since there is now just one tool - Mirror. That said, Mirror Cut can still be used under the hood even in latest Maya 2018 releases so if you are missing Mirror Cut - here it is.
It comes with few improvements:
- Quick +/- X, Y or Z axis mirror
- No object disappearing or material/shader losing
- Single button clean history and all mirror residuals in Outliner
- Quick Step Rotate (mirror plane or mesh rotate)
Supported Maya versions
Maya 2018 - 2022+
The script should work on every Maya release from 2016 and up, including all Maya LT 2016 and up. Mac OSX - not tested since i don't have Mac but it should work on all Maya versions mentioned above.
Tutorials / Help
--- v2.0 ---
- NEW - Added option for Mirror Cut Plane positioning "presets". A toggle button on top with the option to position the mirror plane on World Axis, Object Center, Pivot Position, Normal Direction.
- NEW - Option to adjust vertices Merge Threshold for last applied mirror tool.
- NEW - Rotate multiple objects at once when Shift+LMB on buttons.
- NEW - Rotation preset values when you RMB click on Rotate field.
- UPDATE - Mirror plane color changed to cyan to match the color in Outliner for the same node.
- UPDATE - Dropped support for Maya 2015 and bellow.
- UPDATE - New installation process ( be sure to check out the new video for Mirror Tool).
--- v1.0 --- release: 12.18.2016
The initial release of v1.0
Important notes / Contact
- You can use the script for personal or/and commercial work whether you are a freelance artist or you are working in the studio.
- Please don't distribute/share, change script or reuse(copy/paste) the script code to make your own script.
- The script is free and available for download only here via Gumroad. If your friends/colleagues want to use it, send them a direct Gumroad link instead, that way they will be able to get the notification if there is an update.
- If you have feedback or/and suggestions feel free to send me a message on my email > firstname.lastname@example.org